Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What Is Balance?


Willow recently posted this question on the Cupwa Facebook page. I refrained from answering it there and decided to do it here instead. She asked the question and this answer is not anyone else’s but my own. This is what is true for me.

Balance, for me, is equilibrium. It’s the whole coin, not just heads or tails. There’s more to life then just one side of things and without the balance of dark and light, moon and sun, yin and yang, Goddess and God, I feel that all is lost. That may sound dramatic and it should. We’re here to try to be the best that we can be. We keep coming back life after life to work through whatever we need to work through, for however long it takes, until we get it right or as right as we want it to be.

Years ago I had a friend of mine that loosely followed a Lakota Indian tradition. However, he refused to do any spiritual work at night. He believed that all spiritual work should be done by the light of day. He thought the stars were evil and that they hid from the sun in the night sky. If he had taken the time to go out into the night he would have seen the beauty of the starry night and learned mysteries untold from them. Instead, he worshipped only the sun, never the moon, and became very unbalanced and eventually stopped his spiritual work all together.
You cannot only pray in the night or in the day. You need both. They both have Their lessons to teach you as do the Goddess and God.

I grew up in a Christian family. My grandparents went to church every week to listen to the word of God. Old and New testament. I never heard about the Goddess, only the God. I left early looking for something else. I had no problem with the idea of a God, but for me something was missing. We had God the father, but where was the mother figure? Where was the Goddess? This wasn’t a question I was actually consciously asking myself. I think like most people who are led to this path, I didn’t really know what I was looking for until I found it.

What I found was this: a religion that took the God and Goddess, added all the Elements of life (Air, Fire, Water, Earth) and mixed them all together into a cohesive balanced whole. No one part out-weighing the other in importance. I needed the Goddess to give birth to my spiritual side, but without the God who planted the seed of hope in the beginning I may not have found Her. The truth is that even if I had found Her, She would not have been enough.


It is my belief that we need both, equally important beings to guide us and show us the way. We need them both to balance us out, from masculine and feminine points of view.

It is not my intention to disrespect anyone else’s views or beliefs as far as their religion goes. I believe whole heartedly that we are all free to believe as we see fit. I also believe that it is our differences that balance us on this Earth Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment